The best part about Punjabi recipe is arguably variety. The other noted thing about Punjabi food is tandoori food. It is said that the use of tandoor was originated in Persia and it were Arabs who introduced it in India. If you go back in time it is believed that the regions surrounding the Punjab were the first one to master this art of cooking using tandoor.
For the meat lovers, it’s an absolute treat because they can never have enough of famous Punjabi non-veg dishes like tandoori chicken, butter chicken, mutton curry and bhuna gosht among others. Though Punjab is a land of five rivers, you will still not find much find much of a sea-food on its menu. Still, there are some fish items that are famous in Punjab like Amritsari Macchi,Fish Tikkas, and Fish Kebabs among others. Here is the list of some of the most famous classic Punjabi non-vegetarian recipes:
- Tandoori Chicken: As discussed earlier, Tandoori Chicken is a delight in Punjab. Probably the best starter that you will find on the menu! Tandoori food never fails to please anybody and hence it is simply hard to resist.
- Butter Chicken: The most common gravy meat cuisine in Punjab is Butter chicken. It is available in both the variant (Boneless and with bone). The marinated chicken is mixed in utterly delicious gravy and it tastes like heaven. It is best served with butter naan, tandoori roti or even with rice.
- Mutton Ki Sabzi: You can also call it mutton curry and is the second most common gravy cuisine in Punjab after butter chicken. Though it originally is not a Punjabi dish but over the years has become one of the most preferred dishes in Punjab. It is served in the main course and is served with different types of rotis or rice as you may like.
- Kebabs: Kebabs are made using both, that is mutton and chicken. There are numerous variants like boti kabab, shami kebab, reshmi kebab and seekh kebab among others. A party in Punjab will mostly start with various kinds of kebabs. This is the best party item and if you’re planning to host a party in Punjab then makes sure that you do include kebab as the starters.
- Paya Soup: Winters are making rounds and to protect yourself, you should always start your meal with a paya soup which is mostly made using feet of goat, lamb or chicken. You will definitely savour this delicious soup before starting with the main course.
- Biryani: The most famous rice-based dish in Punjab is certainly Biryani. It is made using chicken, mutton or even lambs. Every state has their version of biryani in this country while Punjab has theirs. It is not served often but no Punjabi Shaadi is complete without having biryani on their menu.
If you travel to Punjab and also loves eating meat then the above-mentioned non-vegetarian dishes are must try dishes for you. All the food that will be served in Punjab will be served with an excess score of ghee and butter.