People tend to think that traveling around in a motorhome rental and visiting certain cities will put a real damper on their pocketbook. While there are many pricey destinations and things to do that do cost a pretty penny, there are ways to avoid overspending, even in the most expensive locations.
If you’re travelling around the northeast in a motorhome rental and have New Jersey in your sight, perhaps you’re hoping to find some things to do that will be fun and entertaining without costing you too much.
We have some great ideas for you. New Jersey may not be as pricey as some areas of New York but that doesn’t mean that a lot of experiences have a hefty price tag on them. We’ll help you avoid spending your savings. Here are some of the best things for you to do while visiting New Jersey, so you don’t have to worry about spending too much:
- Go hiking in the New Jersey part of the Appalachian Trail. With 72 miles of the Appalachian Trail, why not spend time exploring the New Jersey area of the Appalachian Trail? It’s a great experience, especially because New Jersey has some beautiful landscapes. As a relatively cheap experience, it could be the perfect way to really see more of New Jersey and not just the city-slicking lifestyles. Escape to nature in one of the most beautiful areas.
- Spend some time relaxing at the Atlantic City Beaches. You don’t have to spend money to enjoy Atlantic City beaches. From Gunnison Beach (a nudist beach) to Stone Harbor, there are several great spots where you can enjoy some time in the sun for free. Many of the beaches have some great little boutique shops and cafes nearby, so you can always enjoy browsing the area as well. You don’t have to spend money to enjoy sand and sea do you?
- There are New Jersey animal refugee farms. While many of these places appreciate a donation or financial adoption of the animals, this will be the perfect experience for budget travelers who also happen to be animal lovers. From the Funny Farm Rescue and Sanctuary to the Tamerlaine Farm Animal Sanctuary, there are several great spots where you can visit the animals and maybe even help out when possible.
- Visit local museums. From the Hopewell Museum to the Heritage Glass Museum, there are several free museums in the area. If you’re a museum-lover, this could be the experience for you and a lot of the museums in the area have very low admission fees if any at all.
- Check out the local gardens. Why not spend some time in “controlled” nature? There are plenty of beautiful gardens in New Jersey that won’t cost you to see. From the Herrontwon Woods Arboretum to the Cross Estate Gardens and Cedar Brook Park Shakespeare Garden, there are several to choose from.
- Check out the cheap eats. Just because you’re traveling around on a budget doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy some good food. Fortunately, New Jersey has some better options for cheaper food than it’s neighboring city of New York. From Mi Gente to Hot Dog Tommy’s, Westside Market, and Maple Shade Custard Stan, you can find plenty of good food for just a few dollars.
- Visit the many places that offer free admission for kids if you’re traveling with your little ones. As a parent, you may find it to be challenging to find things that you can do with your kids while road tripping. Fortunately, New Jersey has some great spots that you can visit for a small charge while spending nothing for your little ones. For example, the Turtle Back Zoo and Storybook Land are free for kids under the age of 2. The Hermitage Museum and Grounds for Sculpture are free for kids under the age of 6. If you’re little ones are getting a bit bigger, the Greenwood Gardens and Acorn Hall are free for children under 12. It will take some research to find the best places to go with your kids and their interests, but rest assured you will find affordable things to do with them in New Jersey.
There is no need to lose money while visiting New Jersey. There are plenty of affordable things to do in the area, as well as free experiences, so if you don’t want to spend your money, you don’t have to when visiting New Jersey.
The above experiences are just a few of the ways that you can still explore New Jersey and have a good time without overspending. If you’re traveling around in a motorhome rental and New Jersey is on your horizon, rest assured that it will be a fun place to be, so go ahead and budget your trip and enjoy this northeastern destination.