E-commerce has essentially paved the way to international business. In other words, the physical barriers of business are no longer a problem. However, this has potentially put the burden on the cargo, especially from the international markets.
Import from China, for instance, has gained importance since China is one of the leading producers of low-cost goods such as shoes, home furnishings, electronic items, and clothing to name a few here. But, the good news is that with the evolution of the cargo, the burden is easing out befitting the needs of the industries alike. Therefore, the challenge here is to find out a reliable cargo partner for your business.
How to choose a cargo partner?
- Listing: To begin here, you must know all the cargo companies in your niche market. This helps you know the market size thereby empowers you for negotiation etc. Use online and offline resources for the purpose. To do this, you can ask people in the trade and friends and at the same time, use search engines. Make a list of all the cargo companies in the first place.
- Rating: The next step here is to check the rating of those cargo companies using review sites like Google, Trustpilot, and Yelp. Take a note of it against each cargo company.
- Reputation check: Now, check the offline reputation of the cargo companies using your personal contacts like family and friends. At this point, you need to take an average based on your findings there.
- Grading: Now, give your own grade to each cargo company based on the offline and online rating/feedback.
- Shortlisting: Pick up the top 3 to 4 cargo companies and make a fresh list with those.
- Talking: Talk to each cargo company over the phone and across the table to understand how they will handle your job. This will give you a concrete idea what to expect from a cargo company when planning to import from China. Do the marking based on the findings there and pick the top two.
- Negotiation: Negotiate with both the cargo companies and get the best price.
- Awarding: Go with the lowest bidder for your job. However, you must keep the second cargo company on your list to take care of the exigencies.
Like the five fingers of your hand, not every cargo company is equally competent. Therefore, the selection of a cargo partner, especially for the import from China, demands a special attention and care.